Friday, August 23, 2013

Designer Spotlight: Clover Canyon


Don't you just hate it when you show up to an event and find yourself wearing the same dress as someone else?  



OK, so technically I wasn't at that InStyle event and there was a 5 month gap so I guess I'll let it slide this time, Ash (I can call you that, right?  I mean, having the same fashion brain basically makes us besties at this point).

So without further ado, I give you the obligatory "Who wore it better?"  

Ummm, on second thought, let's just make that a rhetorical question, k, thanks.




In early spring, I was on the hunt for some interesting and unique pieces to add to my spring wardrobe.  I must have been really tired of the cold weather and the wintry shades of gray, but everything I was attracted to for Spring '13 was insanely bright, bold, and floral.  

So when I came across a funky dress by Clover Canyon on Piperlime, although I wasn't familiar with the brand, I was intrigued.  And when I realized it was neoprene, well, that was just too bizarre.    And for this chick, sometimes weird seals the deal.   

Clover Canyon, lead by creative director Rozae Nichols, is a line started only a few short years ago and is based out of Los Angeles.  Their "vivid prints and streamlined silhouettes" have quickly garnered mass appeal and a celebrity following.  I personally love the sense of whimsical FUN that's captured in their free-wheeling prints (portraying everything from florals, car motifs, and Siberian Russian landscapes) that are paired with modern shapes and materials.   The line is carried at Saks, Neimans, and other online retailers.  Locally (Memphis, TN), you can find pieces at Isabella and Southern Couture.  


Clover Canyon's Hollywood fans clockwise from top left: Shay Mitchell, Khloe Kardashian,  Olivia Wilde, Jordin Sparks, Olivia Wilde, and Nicole Scherzinger


These are a few of my picks currently available on the Clover Canyon site:
  • Love the florals on this top.  And it's on sale!
  • I don't know why people don't wear flowy pants all the time.  They are so comfy, yet chic.  I'd pair these with flat sandals, a tank, and a straw hat for an easy breezy summer look
  • This top sports it's own printed statement jewelry.  That's double bang for our buck!
  • The sleeve length and futuristic print of this dress is so flattering


I wore this Clover Canyon "Orchid Trip" dress to the Memphis Fashion Week 2013 after party.  The event was held in the basement of Minglewood Hall, a popular concert venue in Memphis.  This was the inaugural event to be held in the rugged and industrial basement space, but with some creative lighting and plenty of creative people, it was transformed into a hip and unique venue.  So if you're looking for a fresh location for an upcoming event, it's definitely worth checking out!

I styled this dress with fuchsia platform t-strap heels and little minimal jewelry (with a dress this busy, it can easily stand alone).  Of course, I added the glow necklace and bracelet to class-it-up a bit, obbbbbviously. Only the finest, y'all :)  I love the way that Ashley Tisdale styled the same dress pulling out the pastel tones with her apricot pumps and light blue drop earrings.  

Although I loved the look of the dress, a few mild warnings: neoprene is flattering in that it "sucks" you in, but also apparently rides up and twists so I found myself constantly pulling it down.  The neoprene also had a faint chemical-y smell to me. 
With MFW model, Jazmine, one of the few individuals who makes me seem short!



My cousin and MFW model Hannah--maybe we are genetically required to sport the same pose?

Having a blast with Addie, event planner extraordinaire and social media tycoon .

With our awesome MFW photographer, Joey Miller, who happens to be sporting to the most dapper look of the night. What this photo doesn't show is his matching pink argyle sock--add it to the hot pink and a crisp bow tie?  Definite A+


I'd love to see some of YOUR fave Clover Canyon looks!


No comments:

Post a Comment