Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The one where I accidentally crashed Justin Timberlake's party...


Last night, local Memphis boy Justin Timberlake performed at the 2013 VMA's.  While I didn't watch the entire craziness, of course I had to tune in to see the much anticipated NSYNC reunion and JT's epic "best of" medley.  I loved it, although, let's be honest...he doesn't have to try very hard to impress me!  *swoon*

That hair.  Giggles.



JT won "Video of the Year" for "Mirrors."  Call me a sappy romantic, but I think the video is so sweet.  Timberlake dedicated the music video to his maternal grandparents, William and Sadie Bomar, who were married for 63 years until his grandfather's passing in 2012.  The video depicts a couple in different stages of their relationship as they grow old together.

MTV News' James Montgomery praised the video, saying, "It's a clip that packs an emotional wallop, a downright beautiful examination of the ebbs and flows of love and the true connection that continues once our time here is over.  That's a rare thing indeed, and so is this video...it is understated and elegant and really truly touching."



"One of the most valuable things in a relationship is being able to constantly change and be individual, but look to the other side to there person that you're with and know that they're changing as well individually, but somehow you two can micro each other and be the other half of that world that you both create." -Justin Timberlake


Timberlake's grandmother, Sadie Bomar, told Italian weekly Grazia "Justin didn't tell me he was doing it [making the video], it was a surprise.  He said, 'You have to see this video, just you sit down and watch it.'  I was moved by it, it brings tears to my eyes.  It's a lovely tribute to us."  She continues "I like the way he catches my wedding ring, like he's the husband now.  He's making a great husband.  I am close to Justin and it's a lovely, beautiful thing to have done.  That's how he is."

Awwwww, a sweet Southern boy who loves his Granny.
Justin, you need to stop being so cute if you're going to insist on being a married man!



And speaking of JT's grandparents... 
(I bet you've never used that line as a conversation starter before)

All of this recent hubbub surrounding "Mirrors" takes me way back to 2010. Everyone in the Mid-South has their own "I-know-somebody-that-knows-somebody-that-knows-JT" story, so here's mine:

My friend, Aubrie, had been invited to a party at Mirimichi, JT's golf club newly opened in Millington.  The event was Friday afternoon and we were under the impression that it was some type of business professional mixer to debut the new venue.  We decided to attend and I'd be lying if I tried to deny that large part of the motivation for attending was the scant chance that JT himself would make an appearance. We left straight from work sporting our best girly professional garb only to realize that we are the very first people to arrive.  So we passed the time by checking out the landscaping and taking some pics.

See?  Told ya we were the first ones to arrive
Ruffle shirts, pencil skirts, pumps: check!
Justin, you sure can design a pretty golf course
How non-pretentious is this table decor?  Wildflowers plucked straight from the course

But as guests begin to arrive, we realize that the crowd is much different that expected; instead of young professionals, we were in a crowd of families and older individuals dressed more casually than we.

Then, we spotted it.

Flowers planted in the shape of the #60.  "Congratulations William and Sadie." scrawled on the cake.  Ohhhhh my.

Oh. My. Goodness...

We had unintentionally crashed a 60th anniversary party for Justin's grandparents?!?!  Consider me MORTIFIED!  We contemplated leaving, but right about then, Justin's mother came over to chat.  We sheepishly and apologetically told her about our mix-up, but she was as nice as could be and insisted that the "more the merrier."  So we made ourselves at home, ate plenty of BBQ, catfish, and enjoyed the Elvis impersonator.  And then just barely contained our girlie squeals  when Justin skyped into the party from Dubai.

It was such an unexpected mix-up, but thanks to a generous dose of Southern hospitality, we felt right at home.  

Thanks y'all!


I want to hear your best "I-know-somebody-that-knows-somebody-that-knows-JT" story--share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment